Wow lot posts since I last checked this thread.

Folks I'm well aware of Practice vs Theory.

The point of the test is to check *ROUGHLY* what your limit is.

I was actually surprised I could easily hear 18bits or more (GRANTED at
full analog volume).

Also keep in mind when you use digital attenuation your shifting EVERY
bit down into a worse performing range. So in "Practice" it's actually
worse than this very simple signal.

Sorry on the mix up on 440Hz vs 3.5K. I had two sets and mixed the
first two up. It's not that big a deal because I expect most will get
past the first two test files and the rest are consistent labeled
correctly.

When I did my testing I bypassed my digital Preamp for those
questioning what Meridian is doing. I tested with Meridian DSP speakers
that don't upsample. It's basically a DAC/Preamp/Amp/Speaker all in one
box.

I've convinced a bunch of Meridian owners to reconfigure their preamp
to basically run full scale and not let the processor attenuate even
one 1/2 a single bit (3dB). 21 folks say it sounds better 0 say it has
no change. This was effectively removing rough 3-6dB of digital
attenuation.

Then I dug into why this is so and why 24bit doesn't avoid problems
with digital attenuation.

Will you hear the difference attenuating Lady Gaga digitally, probably
not.

Digital Attenuation is BAD BAD BAD BAD even just a little is BAD.

This test is only part of it. It was mainly to show you can't hear
24bits from your DAC even in UNREASLISTIC extreme cases but you can
easily hear over 16bits.

They say human hearing has 120dB dynamic range.

Another test I may do is take a nice delicate classical piece of music
and stuff noise in bits 17-24, then 18-24, then 18-24. I'll bet you can
easily hear it even at normal levels past 16bits. This will be a more
realistic test.

I used Audacity to generate the test files. But I would like to make a
cleaner set they are a little rough but they got the job done.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)