acanning;541277 Wrote:
> This is an interesting thread although I must admit that I‘ve struggled
> to understand it once or twice.
>
> For the avoidance of doubt, perhaps you could just confirm something to
> me.
> I run my SB Touch into a Meridian 24bit DAC and then into a 502
> preamp.
>
> I have recently obtained a Meridian 518 to play with which is proving
> interesting although I’m struggling to hear any real difference. As I’m
> sure many of you know the 518 can be used as a digital preamp so I could
> replace the 502 with the 518 but I have been put off because of the
> ‘loss of bits’ thing when reducing the volume. My speakers are quite
> sensitive so the volume on the 518 is usually around the 72 mark as
> opposed to the 89 mark I think it needs to be at to get all the bits.
>
> Am I worrying too much? From what you are saying, it sounds like I am.
> Whether the digital 518 is better than the analogue 502 I guess is the
> topic of another debate!
>
> Thanks

Hopefully we've established now that "loss of bits you can't actually
hear" is no loss at all.

Please let this be the end...
{I know it won't be...}
:-)

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio