mlsstl;542726 Wrote:
> I downloaded the clip and took a look at it in Adobe Audition. The track
> I looked at showed no clipping at all. The highest peak was -0.19 dB. Of
> course that could have been dynamically limited during the recording,
> mixing or mastering process, but there is more than one way to do that.
> Not everything has to turn into a square wave clip.
>
> However, I'm confused as to why anyone would use this song to
> illustrate the need for dynamic range. The average playback level
> ranged from -6 to -9 dB with the drum strikes mostly weighing in around
> -2 dB. You've got an electric guitar plugged into an amp, an amplified
> organ, a drummer who isn't doing anything unusually subtle, and a
> close-miked singer who appears to have a bit of routine vocal
> processing added.
>
> While I like Kenny Neal and the recording is certainly respectable
> compared to many entries in this age of loudness wars, this is pretty
> standard bar band blues material. (And bar bands can be very good,
> BTW.)
>
> Tell me again what's getting lost in the mud at -80 and -90 dB?

I just verified it with two well respected tools and that clip is
clipped.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)