mlsstl;542775 Wrote:
> Why does material need to be clipped (or run close to clipping) for a
> track that, for practical purposes, has 20 or 30 dB worth of dynamic
> range?

That's the subject of a whole different discussion!  The insane
loudness war's that seem to prevail the mixing studio's these days.
F*** the quality, make it sound louder!  Compress the life out of it,
and turn it up 'till the red lights start blinking...

There's no excuse for, or need of, digital clipping with the resolution
of today's gear, yet sadly, it's not uncommon.  I've got DVD-Audio disks
with clipping, even with their 24 bit capability.  Sad, sad, sad...

--
DCtoDaylight

Audiophile wish list: Zero Distortion, Infinite Signal to Noise Ratio,
and a Bandwidth from DC to Daylight