Robin Bowes;542877 Wrote:
> On 03/05/10 09:41, audiomuze wrote:
> >
> > mswlogo;542833 Wrote:
> >> Hotel California DVDA is a really great disc. O
> > On the contrary I find it to be pretty loud and lacking subtlety and
> > inevitably turn it down when it starts because it jumps right out at
> > you.  I much prefer the MoFi CD which I find a far more pleasant
> > listening experience.
>
> I think what this demonstrates is that some folk prefer a compressed
> sound while others prefer a more natural sound.
>
> This is personal preference.
>
> I prefer the latter; mswlogo seems to prefer the former.
>
> R.

To be really picky, unless you are talking about a crossed-pair 2-track
recording (or a soundfield job) in a real ambience with no EQ, reverb
etc there is no "natural"... there is just "engineered"... :-)

Most people wouldn't like the natural (untreated) sound of a pop/rock
band without EQ and (especially) compression!

And before anyone says "What about the Beatles?" - their  early
recordings have all manner of EQ, compression etc on them - much of it
enforced by the microphones, mixing consoles, guitars, amplifiers and
tape decks of the day - you couldn't get a "neutral" sound to build
from so you had to work round that. The reason they sound good? - a lot
of care was taken in the performance, recording, mixing and mastering.
This was a long time before the "fix it in the mix" mentality became
popular...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio