Folks, please dont say "nobody knows better". I am a CS/EE major and a
major skeptic. First off, please understand what jitter is. Here is my
summary - a CD needs to be played exactly (will come to the recording
later) at 44.1kHz. But we cannot control this frequency exactly. It
varies and that too at very high frequency. Like for example - it is
44.10001Khz now and 44.09999Khz in another millisecond/picosecond. DO
you get the picture ? Is that distortion ? I do not know but it is not
an exact reproduction of the waveform. Now can you hear this ? I have
been using a Panasonic Digital Amplifier Receiver biamping my
silverline sonatina speakers. So in my case, there is no dac, no class
A/B amplification and associated distortions. My sound quality is
directly related to the digital input quality (I think). And now if I
change digital cables, sources (like digital modded SB3, Duet, modded
oppo, Philips 963sa, Behringer SRC2496) I hear a difference. What do
you think is at play ?
(Same goes for the recording, you need to sample at exactly 1/44100
second intervals. So you cannot get rid of the jitter in the recording.
One of the reasons some people insist on LP as the best source, because
they are not satisfied with the best digital playback).

--
SoftwireEngineer