SoftwireEngineer;549117 Wrote:
> I am certain we can hear jitter..the whole audiophile genre of players
> and transports maybe overpriced but they do address a real problem -
> jitter. Without controlling this someway or other you cannot have
> quality playback. (BTW, somebody tell me the brandnames of DACs with
> built in memory buffer - I know of only NAIM, others are all some form
> of PLL which I dont eliminates jitter).
> As Darren there is no specific sonic signature, if you reduce jitter,
> you can expect to hear improvements across the board, lows, highs,
> ambience/soundstage, micro/macrodynamics, subtle shading in volume
> levels etc.

Chord, Meridan, dCS...

In fact ALL dacs have buffers. Some are very small (one word!) and some
are very big ( a few mB ).

The best way to minimise transport+cable-induced jitter (which in the
Touch and TP is very low to begin with) is to clock the transport from
the DAC.

However, having very high quality (high precision, low drift) clocks
and PLL's certainly helps too.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio