bhaagensen;549467 Wrote:
> In the context of representing a sound-wave, there is no such fixed
> separation. AFAIK one can in theory freely trade amplitude for time and
> vice versa. This is the hole idea of PWM (or PCM if you will :)
>
> But let me try and put my question above in a sligthly different way.
> Consider an original audio-signal and its corresponding representation,
> S0. Then consider the same signal after conversion only with the
> difference that it now also contains artifacts caused by jitter.
> Assuming it doesn't clip or anything like that, this signal also has a
> representation, S1. The question is simply whether it is possible to
> model the nature of the transformation of S0 to S1 and such that it
> could be implemented as a transformation in DSP?
>
> (note it is assumed in the above, that the samples are taken at exactly
> the same times relative to the time of the audio-signal - only the
> amplitudes are different in S0 and S1).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picosecond

Jitter is measured at picoseconds

You need to have audio data and a "jitter free" DAC operating at 100's
of ghz.
To simulate the wave form the signal would have after a normal DAC

most audio programs are only working at measly 192kHz sampling rate .
it's simply not enough to simulate timebase variations in the ps
range.

I think most controlled listening test re jitter is done by "simply"
disturbing a known good DAC design and ABX compare the results.

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J and assorted amps SiriuS,
Classe'Primare and Dynadio speakers (including a pair of Contour 4 )
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Miscellaneous use: Radio (with battery)
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this