lrossouw;571794 Wrote:
> Well the tests need to be done with whoever believes it to be different.
> E.g. someone who says I can hear the difference on system XYZ.
>
> The equipment shouldn't make a difference unless there is something
> that artificially changes the sound depending on what type of stream it
> is.  A stock touch should be preferred as we don't want someone to say
> this or that mod favours the flac or pcm.
>
> Of course the main problem with this test is that let's say John choses
> PCM 12 / 20 times.  In this case all we proved is that we can't reject
> that they are not the same.   This doesn't prove that they *are* the
> same but merely that they aren't different to his ears on his system.
>
> The big thing is not to accidentally reveal to the person which is
> which through the rest of the design.
>
> I wish Phil could run the test and John can be subject :D  That way
> we'd be 100% sure that it is objective.  Perhaps we can arrange
> something if John gets a result that is significant.
>
> Anyway if John or anyone does find a difference we would also just know
> that there is a difference in their setup.  They could then play with
> their setup and/or mod the touch until they figure out what is causing
> the difference.

Well, leaving aside the 3,500 miles between us...

Anyway, I'm happy to play. If we can agree on a set of test files and a
methodology, I'm game.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.