JohnSwenson;571850 Wrote:
> Lets make sure I understand this: we have a wav and flac of the same
> song. We have a playlist with a random distribution of those two songs.
> The person performing the test can listen to the playlist as many times
> as desired, skip forward, back etc.
Quite so.

Moreover: you are allowed to listen to the flac and pcm versions
(knowing which one is which) too, in order to "acclimatise" yourself.

JohnSwenson;571850 Wrote:
> Now what should the output be? A list of tracks and whether they are pcm
> or flac OR which ones are prefered? Its seems to me that adding
> preference into it rather than just flac or pcm is complicating the
> test.
Just in case it isn't clear from lrossouw's follow up, preference is
NOT important. All you need to do is correctly identify flac or pcm.
The skeptics here believe you won't be able to tell the difference -
all you have to do is show that you can, to a statistically significant
degree.

As for the problem of the Touch and Controller displaying different
info for FLAC and PCM, that is an issue. On the assumption that you
aren't interested in cheating, can I suggest that you:
a) turn the Touch so its screen faces away from you (or cover the
screen up in some other way).
b) cover the Controller's screen with some sort of mask, so that the
only part of it you can see is the number of the track in the playlist.
You do of course need to know the track number otherwise your results
can't be compared to the playlist after the test.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A