iPhone;573423 Wrote:
> The point I was making was that some (not all) HiRes files are of
> different or better engineered then the 44/16 red book which is the
> real reason to get the 96/24 in my mind. I can tell you without any
> reservation that it will sound better. This also translates to the
> 44/16 vs 96/24 which was the point I was trying to make but must have
> made confusing.

OK--I understand now the point of your post (which I had felt did not
answer my question).  I am well aware that some companies make much
higher quality recordings and that these will generally be the
companies that make hi-res tracks available.  However these companies
also virtually always make CD-quality versions also available.  Like R
Johnson, what I want to try to find out is whether it is worth the
expense and hassle to buy the hi-res files (e.g., my Duet cannot play
them natively).

The hi-res tracks I have purchased so far sound excellent, but they are
from companies whose CD-quality tracks also sound excellent.  I have
only one such track in both CD-quality and hi-res, but a difference in
sound quality is not immediately obvious, though I have not yet had
time to do serious comparisons.  Would prefer not to have to buy lots
of tracks in both encodings looking for one that can reveal
differences....

--
ncarver