mlsstl;581759 Wrote:
> Diego, I'm surprised you find the SBT's analog output unsatisfactory. I
> had been using a Lavry DA-10 DAC (a very highly regarded $1,000 DAC)
> .... I'd double check setting and connections if I were you. Equipment
> location can also be an issue in terms of picking up radiated EMI.

Thanks for the advise! Well yes, you might be right that the sound is
not bettered by an external DAC. However, I would locate the reason at
another place: The digital signal of the SBT. Its really no surprise:
Not only the price does not allow for real high end gear, also the
design. This elegant small little thing is not much bigger than today's
mobile phones... but there is obviously not enough space to put in the
components needed to build a decent DAC. So one has to stay realistic!

Don't take me wrong: The SB is a GERAT piece of gear for the cost, also
sound-wise. For the money spent, I really could not expect more of it.
But it is not for "audiophiles" as Logitech tells us in their
publicity. By far not. My Creek CD 50 MK II is not either a piece of
ultra fancy high end and costs about 1000 US$. But for this price, it
makes just ONE thing and it does it right. The SB does a dozen of
things for half the price. And it still sound OK, but it's still really
far away from the Creek CD player's sound quality that is just way more
dynamic, precise and natural. And there are much better ones out there,
of course.

So what I am looking for now is to spend about the same money I spent
into the SB for only the last step that is one of the more crucial
ones, sound-wise, that is, converting the digital signal back to
analog. I guess it is not an irrational assumption that that it should
be possible to really better the sound like that.

Now, if the digital signal that comes out of the S/PDIF-connections is
already so weak that it does not allow for a substantially better
conversion to analog, I would also consider connecting a USB DAC
(according to JohnSwenson manual, here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=82110 , thanks for that,
John!) - provided that it really gives a considerably better end
result.

Thanks again, looking forward for your answers! Diego

--
diego