SuperQ;582881 Wrote:
> Whups, sorry I missed it.  The method I was suggesting for calibration
> would allow you to do the white-noise test at a lower volume (because
> you measure post-amplification) and then you know what gain diff
> between your sources is.  With the voltmeter method you can do the
> calibration without any speakers attached.  Just measure the open
> circuit voltage on your amp (harmless).

But I need to figure out precisely where to set the volume control on
the preamp for each source, at my desired listening volume, and since I
want to listen fairly loudly I don't see how I would avoid having the
volume up pretty high at the speakers.  I use tests discs for noise
source, but I don't think I have a pink noise track at a really, really
low level.  So, I don't see how measuring at the speakers avoids
freaking the cats out.  Is there something I am missing?

It is immediately obvious that the DAC has quite a bit a higher output
than the Touch.  Actually I wanted to not have to swap cables last
night so I was running DAC into preamp balanced but Touch obviously
single ended so very large volume difference between the two.  Luckily
my Krell preamp has gain switch that changes by 6dB to offset balanced
vs not, so I was hoping for a close match using just that, but no such
luck.

--
ncarver