Wombat;581893 Wrote:
> I remember one audiophile tester at the audio magazin mp3 test was able
> to difference most mp3s. That was because of a hearing loss and masking
> didn´t work with his ears to well. The other studies i read over time
> didn´t have audiophiles that were clearly better at picking mp3´s.

In my own experience telling the difference is largely a matter of
knowing what the artifacts sound lik, identifying a place in a track
where they are relatively easy to hear, and listening to that spot very
carefully.

I doubt audiophiles will be any better at that than anyone else that
goes to the trouble to do it, which is why I'm curious to read
firedog's reference.

> And over time i had many "mp3 is sh**" listeners that couldn´t tell me
> if it is the mp3 or wav when burned back to cd.
> I think i am a very critical listener and try to avoid to fool myself.
> That isn´t easy cause it happens pretty fast.

It's actually really amazing how easy it is to fool yourself, and how
often it happens.  The human brain is a very sophisticated virtual
reality generator....  that's what makes DBTs for audibility both
essential and pretty interesting in their own right.

--
opaqueice