mlsstl;585679 Wrote:
> That's the first introduction of a 56Kbps mp3 into the discussion.
>
> Does that mean I should just toss my 1938 recording of Rachmaninoff
> playing Rachmaninoff because it came from a '78?
>
> I don't recall anyone in this discussion claiming a low bit rate mp3 is
> the audio equivalent of hi-rez. We had been talking about the
> significance of audibility between 16/44.1 and higher resolution
> formats.
>
> So far, most of the people have indicated they'd far prefer a Redbook
> CD with excellent mastering in lieu of a hi-rez recording with mediocre
> work by the record company.
>
> Do you prefer the opposite?

I really wish Shannon and Nyquist were alive and on this forum...

I reckon your Rachmaninov could be accurately reproduced at 32/16 - and
I'm sure it would sound great!

:-)

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.