I've had a chance to use the Touch's digital volume control with a
variety of equipment over the last several months.

The DACs used are a Cambridge Audio 840C and a Neko D100.  (I'll try to
post more on the Neko in another thread.  It's a very interesting DAC
for those wanting to feed an amp directly.)

The amps, which are fed directly, are a BAT VK-250 solid state amp, a
Bryston 3B-SST, and now a pair of Rogue M-150 tube monoblocks I've
borrowed for a few days.

The speakers are Vandersteen Quatros.

In my opinion, the digital volume control is as transparent, if not
more so, than my pre-amp volume control (a BAT 3ix tube pre-amp).

Frankly, I find the statement that opened this thread to be absolute
nonsense.  I don't know where the "don't use more than 10 dB of
attenuation" idea mentioned by some comes from, either.  I assume the
PIOOYA method.

By the way, with the Neko connected to the Rogues but no music playing
I can hear nothing with my ear right over a tweeter.  Rather amazing
for a tube amp.

--
Daverz