darrenyeats;601809 Wrote:
> But I can tell you the result, that most (not all) CD remasters in my
> experience are more dynamically compressed than the earlier CD master.
For sure nearly all remasters are more compressed than the original
releases, but that's not the only factor that affects sound quality. A
lot of early CD releases were cut from Nth generation copy tapes.
(Example: the original British CD release of "Going for the One" by Yes
was excrutiatingly bad. It was the only CD I ever returned simply
because the mastering job was so poor). Remasters are typically sourced
from better analogue tapes, so provided the amount of added compression
is modest, you can end up with a better overall sound. Regrettably all
too many remasters go overboard on the compression.

Of course there's no reason why the better analogue tape can't be
transferred unmolested, but unfortunately it seems to be some kind of
dogma these days that compression must be applied. I reckon there is a
generation of so-called "mastering engineers" growing up who genuinely
think that squashing the life out of everything is the right way to do
it. I get the impression that a lot of them are jumped-up DJs.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A