diego;602712 Wrote:
> Thanks Phil, for your reply!
>
> Based on my proper experience with a touch and a pretty "audiophile"
> chain behind, including an external DAC, I confirm, that converting
> FLACs to WAV on the server does indeed sound better than streaming the
> FLACs as such to the Touch - as far as 16 bit / 44 khz FLAC files are
> concerned.
>
> Now, may I just add one question, can you please clarify, where you
> have that certainty from, that no down-sampling happens? Have you seen
> inside the squeezebox server software and analyzed it? Or have you
> somehow measured the stream? Because just 1/2-phrase statements of
> "developers" without any rationale do not actually sound very
> convincing to me... (Like e.g. Andy's here:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80563&page=1 ). In
> particular, the "rationale" there is not convincing at all. To say that
> the bitrate indicated is only a "guess" is strange. It is pretty easy to
> guess, that the weight of a 24bit/96khz pcm stream is NOT the same as
> the one of a CD type of stream... I can't actually believe that
> squeezebox developers "guess" so extremely wrong!
>
> So, if you have any further clarification, that would be great!

My TACT shows the incoming sample rate of the bitstream from my Touch
on its display...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.