I have a couple of choices on how to hook up my squeezebox touch.  One
is into a Denon AVR-3802, a 7.1 home theater amp; the other is an older
JVC AZ-Z911 digital reference integrated amp.  In the case of the Denon,
because we're also using it for 5.1 home theater in one room, I can use
the back surround channels, which are separately powered at 110w/ch.
The JVC would be devoted completely to the music/squeezebox at 100x/ch.
The biggest difference is the choice of analog and digital inputs:  in
the case of the Denon, because it's for zone 2, I can only use the
analog inputs, while the JVC has a digital optical input.  Regarding
specs, the JVC has THD of 0.03% while the Denon, for these two back
channels at 8ohm and 110w has 0.7% THD; the signal to noise ratio on
the amps is 112dB on the JVC and 102dB on the Denon.  Another factor is
that I'm pushing the entire thing into a Niles 4-pair splitter, and the
best speakers (in the living room) are B&O S35's.  Other speakers are
mid-range Polks.  Finally, I save my sound files as mpegs at the
highest bitrate I can, typically 320kpbs.  Right now I'm running it all
out of the Denon, and things are pretty good.  I'm wondering,
essentially, whether it's worth hooking up the JVC--whether I'll hear a
difference with the digital-only hookup.

--
jpwilkin