Bas Cancrinus;608712 Wrote:
> I have a plain SB3 (no ext. DAC or anything) and it's time for a serious
> upgrade. What I understand from this thread is that I should:
>
> 1. buy an SB Touch;
> 2. apply Klaus' mods to free resources, which are needed for a
> bit-perfect S/PDIF output signal;
> 3. buy a Blue Jeans s/pdif coax;
> 4. buy an ext. DAC.
>
> Am I right?
> I read a very positive review of the Cambridge DacMagic (2008, EUR
> 425), are there any other DACs in that price range that I should try?
>
> TIA!!

2 not true. Klaus' mods may or may not improve the sound, but they
aren't needed for bit perfect output. One explanation of why (if ) they
work is that by reducing RF interference they lessen jitter. But in both
cases the digital output of the Touch is bit perfect.

Wow, there are a lot of DACs in the $400- $700 price range. You should
probably try several if you can. The Music Hall, the MF-1 (just
recently favorably reviewed here), the DACmini(more like $800), the
higher end HRT streamer, and others. I always recommend looking at the
second hand market for DACs. They don't have moving parts, so there
isn't much to go wrong on a working used one. You can often get a
second hand DAC with SQ well above what you could afford with a new
one. Audiophiles are constantly upgrading DACs and selling their older
ones, so there is quite a good second hand market for them.

Of course listen to the Touch "as is" first, you may find it quite
satisfactory on its own.

--
firedog

Tranquil PC fanless WHS server running SqueezeServer; SB Touch slaved to
Empirical Audio Pace Car; MF V DAC3, MF X-150 amp, Devore Gibbon Super 8
Speakers; Dual 506 + Ortofon 20 (occasional use); sometimes use PC with
M-Audio 192 as digital source. SB Boom in second room. Arcam CD82 which
I don't use anymore, even though it's a very good player.