Apparently there seems to be lots of confusion about what UPnP means and
I count myself among those who are confused.

>From what I can gather a UPnP device is either a client or a server. In
the case of the Squeezebox devices, the Squeezebox is a client and the
computer running SBS is the server. The main difference between the
Squeezebox devices and many other UPnP devices is that while the
Squeezebox device is a client because it's ability to communicate with
SBS one has the ability to control the device using a remote. I've
never seen a clear explanation of exactly how other UPnP are
controlled. Again my understanding is that many of these devices are
controlled via software on the server and in the case of music the most
common software used to control the device is iTunes and that must be
controlled at the server.

If I have anything wrong please feel free to correct and educate me
since I'm often puzzled as to why these very "dumb" UPnP clients are
being so highly touted.

For point of reference I have a WD Live Plus box connected to my HDTV
which I use to stream movies. While the device can play music files it
does not have a good way to find what music is on the server and
whatever method it uses is nowhere near as good or as useful as SBS.
And one does need the TV to be on to select music.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2 (oops) -> Touch