duke43j;613974 Wrote:
> Why is it that you can play a real instrument in your living room or
> your kitchen and it still sounds like a real instrument?
>
> By adding acoustic treatment to our listening room are we trying to
> recreate the dead sound of the recording studio? In the case of a
> symphony orchestra I would rather my system sound like I was sitting in
> Symphony Hall. But in the case of a jazz combo I would be perfectly
> happy if it sounded as though they were playing in my listening room.
> Will a single room treatment be able to accomplish this?

The aim of room treatment (or DRC) is not to achieve either! - it's to
allow the recorded ambience - whether that happens to be a dead studio
with added digital reverb or a large hall -  to come through as best it
can. Obviously the whole thing is a massive compromise/ilusion anyway.

I find that physically sorting out the room to avoid flutter echo and
other annoyances, followed by DRC to handle the worst EQ imbalances
works a treat. YMMV.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF
x-dacv3/x-10/x-psu(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner,
Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber 8TC Speaker &
Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.