JezA;615201 Wrote:
> Since when has 40 year old analogue tape been 24/192?
>
> Much of the HDTracks catalogue is similarly ancient and suspect - they
> are selling very little that has been recorded and mastered in hi-res
> digital.

Recorded and mastered in high resolution digital is different from an
analog recording which is converted to high resolution digital and then
digitally mastered in high resolution digital.

For example the Rolling Stones Abcko recordings are analog recordings
which have been converted from the original analog masters (of so you
are told) in high resolution digital masters. It is these files that
HDTracks is selling. Nothing wrong with that provided that the hi-rez
digital files have in fact been sourced from the original analog
masters.

I think the basic problem with the legal download sites is that they
are basing their business model and hence their price structure on the
old physical media model. For the average person who doesn't completely
understand things digital (which would be somewhere around 99.9999999%
of all those gray haired audiophiles out there - it would be a solid
100% expect for myself and perhaps a few other people on this forum)
they think that the physical pricing model applies to things digital.

However the distribution system for digital files is completely
different than the distribution system for physical media and the many
of us are well aware of this and feel that the pricing structure should
be revised. I'm not saying that the files should be given away only that
the current pricing structure is out of whack with the realities of the
digital distribution system.

Throw in the fact, that as Mnyb correctly pointed out, there are other
means of obtaining the same files at a much lower cost and HDTracks
relatively high prices are seen in a very harsh light. And by the way,
while hi-rez recordings from HDTracks and other sites (e.g. Linn) may
not have reached the torrent market I have seen them available via
other means. What puzzles me is that the approach being taken by many
of these legal download sites and the record companies appears to run
counter to the old supply and demand model.

Let me explain:

A limitless supply of a commodity would normally mean a low or falling
price. It is only when demand outstrips supply that the price should go
up. And yet the record companies' response to the their commodity
(digital music files) being widely and cheaply available (torrents,
news groups, Rapidshare, copies and rips of CDs) has been to
continually raise their prices. Obviously the laws of supply and demand
are only followed when they result in higher, not lower, prices.

I don't have the answer but I do know that until these greedy S.O.B.s
come to their senses regarding their failing business model things are
not going to improve nor are the prices going to come down to a point
where many of us would be happy with them. In the meantime illegal
downloading will continue unabated.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2 (oops) -> Touch