adamdea;622028 Wrote:
> No, don't worry I was not debating that seriously or otherwise.
> Perhaps I haven't made my point clearly. I am not arguing about the
> problem of synching to players just the suggestion that volume control
> considerations make the server side crossover suggestion unfeasible.
> You are right to point out that somewhere somehow levels have to be
> made to match, and that this is a little trickier with active
> crossovers (especially non-proprietary ones). But how serious a problem
> is this?
> It seems to me that there is a channel matching probelm in any stereo
> system. The pre-existing stereo volume control is in fact two volume
> controls L and R albeit that they may be synched physically.
> Obviously (assuming digital vol control won't do all attentuation) you
> now have to match 4 levels not 2. MY point is that
> 1) getting the signal into the range where it can be harmlessly
> controlled by digital attenuation is simple and can probably be done
> accurately because you are just matching 4 resistors (on left high/
> left low/ right high/ right low)
> 2) in  any event any additional complexity (and pair matching problem)
> is nothing like as complex as the problem of getting passive crossovers
> to work and match.
> 3) How is this any different from what will have to occur in (or
> after)any digital crossover?
> 4) In Linn's case they have as far as I can see crossovers matched
> exactly to a particular amp and pair of speakers which is not the same
> (see 6).
> 5) In meridian's case I think they are using digital attenuation. I am
> not sure whether their solution works unless your system is all
> meridan.
> 6) I think the volume control problem is an inherent problem of any
> system where you try to get generic amp+ generic (x-over less) speaker
> + generic crossover and is not peculiar to the server side solution.

Volume control of an active system is NORMALLY never a problem... it is
done in the pre-amp that drives the XO (or in the source if you don't
have a pre-amp)... in your proposed server-side system this would have
to be done digitally with synced SB volume controls (This aspect is
entirely possible today)

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.