brjoon1021;624087 Wrote:
> "My belief is that there is too much (information - to be recorded)
> there for current digital parameters to capture as well as analog
> can."
>
> I did say analog, not "vinyl" here as some of you started talking about
> digitally ripping copies of your records. I wasn't talking about that. I
> was referring to whether digital recordings can capture the information
> of a live event as well as analog recordings can. I know that most all
> recordings that end up on vinyl now were made digitally at the time the
> recording was made. I have not referred to any of those. I don't have
> any vinyl records of anything recorded after early-70's except for Jazz
> at the Pawnshop, Police and R.E.M.  -  Good point... do you have both
> the CD and LP of Jazz at the Pawnsho[? Compare them. GREAT RECORDING.
> Both sound great but many people think that the vinyl has more of the
> live feel of the location than the CD. Why ? I don't know. The CD is
> great but vinyl records sound more real to me many times. R.E.M. comes
> to mind. Their records sound better than their CDs to me. Maybe the guy
> that mastered the CDs was not so great, don't know...
>
> To clarify my analog vs digital assertion: I think a big studio tape
> would sound better than a top-of-the-line digital recording of the very
> same piece, in other words. I have not had the opportunity to hear
> either. I have only heard vinyl and CD. My aforementioned Engineer
> buddy has done a lot of studio recording and setting up studios with
> his speakers, amps and various other shite he makes (well). He
> emphatically says that the best digital recordings do not sound as good
> as the same event recorded on analog. Just an anecdote. Nothing more.
>
> Ultimately, it comes down to what you like as someone else said here.
> Speakers are wildly inaccurate compared to any artifacts we are talking
> about adding by a stylus or other vinyl playback equipment. We are
> already listening to frequency response inaccuracies. Our rooms add a
> lot more coloration after that.... I was only trying to make a few
> points:
>
> 1. to me, most vinyl records sound more "there" than the CD of the same
> event. I don't know if there is any way to prove that records have more
> or less information to be gotten from the groove than a CD has in bits.
>

> 2. MP3s are not the same as a CD when you listen to familiar, complex
> material over a system that you know the material on... (your music,
> your system).
>
> By the way, I have ribbon tweeters and really fast sealed-cabinet
> speakers. I don't like soft and flabby sound - referring to the
> glossing effect of vinyl being possibly what I prefer about vinyl. I
> listen to digital sources most of the time, too.
>
> I probably won't add any more comments as this is kind of running
> aground, but a fun topic.

Having worked with "big studio tape decks", Modern digital recording
(post ~1990, 24/96 and beyond) can easily outstrip even the most well
aligned, well-engineered 0.5 inch mastering tape decks with the best
quality virgin tapes and nothing is lost in translation. In fact it's
rather the opposite - the digital is somewhat more revealing, which a
lot of people don't care for. Certainly the extra 20-25dB of noise
floor reduction is worth having... because it removes the need for
Dolby/dBX NR each of which have their own problems...

As for 2 inch tape with 24 tracks... digital easily beats that.

It's worth bearing in mind that analogue tape is effectively a
"quantum" medium in so far as the smallest detectable changes in
magnetic flux are determined by the size of the mag particles on
tape... it's not a case of infinite "resolution" :-)

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.