"My belief is that there is too much (information - to be recorded)
there for current digital parameters to capture as well as analog
can."

I did say analog, not "vinyl" here as some of you started talking about
digitally ripping copies of your records. I wasn't talking about that. I
was referring to whether digital recordings can capture the information
of a live event as well as analog recordings can. I know that most all
recordings that end up on vinyl now were made digitally at the time the
recording was made. I have not referred to any of those. I don't have
any vinyl records of anything recorded after early-70's except for Jazz
at the Pawnshop, Police and R.E.M.  -  Good point... do you have both
the CD and LP of Jazz at the Pawnsho[? Compare them. GREAT RECORDING.
Both sound great but many people think that the vinyl has more of the
live feel of the location than the CD. Why ? I don't know. The CD is
great but vinyl records sound more real to me many times. R.E.M. comes
to mind. Their records sound better than their CDs to me. Maybe the guy
that mastered the CDs was not so great, don't know...

To clarify my analog vs digital assertion: I think a big studio tape
would sound better than a top-of-the-line digital recording of the very
same piece, in other words. I have not had the opportunity to hear
either. I have only heard vinyl and CD. My aforementioned Engineer
buddy has done a lot of studio recording and setting up studios with
his speakers, amps and various other shite he makes (well). He
emphatically says that the best digital recordings do not sound as good
as the same event recorded on analog. Just an anecdote. Nothing more.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you like as someone else said here.
Speakers are wildly inaccurate compared to any artifacts we are talking
about adding by a stylus or other vinyl playback equipment. We are
already listening to frequency response inaccuracies. Our rooms add a
lot more coloration after that.... I was only trying to make a few
points:

1. to me, most vinyl records sound more "there" than the CD of the same
event. I don't know if there is any way to prove that records have more
or less information to be gotten from the groove than a CD has in bits.

2. MP3s are not the same as a CD when you listen to familiar, complex
material over a system that you know the material on... (your music,
your system).

--
brjoon1021