I don't want to open old arguments, but I am interested in FLAC versus
PCM.

As I understand it, PCM is a string of bits which must be sent,
received and processed according to strict clocks.  Anything that gets
in the way might cause a problem, although I'm not sure what effect
buffering in the Touch has.

In contrast, FLAC is more like a series of records, with error
correction logic, a checksum and so forth, isn't it?.  Because the data
is encoded, and sent as data to be processed rather than as a series of
bits whose timing must be maintained accurately, minor glitches in
transmission should be easily recoverable and nothing in that
transmission should be able to affect the sound quality.  Of course,
once FLAC has been received and is being decoded all sorts of problems
can occur which will affect the analogue quality or the precision of
onward digital transmission.

Have I gone up a garden path here?

--
PasTim