PasTim;630173 Wrote:
> I did mention I have a wired network, back in post 600, but there's a
> lot of stuff to plough through to find it.
>
> How do people suggest I should test my network?  I'm willing to if I
> have some tools that tell me what's going on.
>
> I've not detected problems on data (big files exchanged between PCs and
> so on with my 100Mbit network running at 50% and more), but of course
> errors on such transfers can be recovered without one noticing anything
> much.
>
> The network is less than ideal because I am running through 3 switches.
> One close to the Touch (and connected to other media streaming devices
> which are not in use when testing), one on my ADSL router near the
> telephone for broadband, and one in my study at the other end of the
> house where my music files are stored, plus printer etc.
>
> It isn't always possible to engineer a network and house to fit the
> ideal, especially when I have to consider my better half using the
> network as well.  Given there's an alternative, i.e. flac, which has
> seemingly perfect stability,  and the benefit in sound quality is not
> certain (for me anyway), there's a limit to how much work one will do
> to get to the ideal.
>
> Having seen my network loaded and 8% overall using flac whilst doing
> other things as well, and not having any problems, I suspect the Touch
> is the culprit, but there's no way I can prove that.
>
> And finally, I should confirm I only have problems at 24/96, and it's
> often worst when I change tracks.

Typically file transfers across the network won't show up the same
problems as the Touch rebuffering. AS others have said, the first thing
to do is to temporarily attach the Touch directly to the Router that the
SBS is attached to. That will hopefully eliminate the SBS server as a
cause. Then work your way back (switch by switch) to your normal
connection topology, noting when the problem recurrs.

There have been various reports of rebuffering with 7.5.x. I haven't
seen any with 7.6 (doesn't mean there aren't any of course).

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.