TerryS;630844 Wrote:
> Well someone said 21 bits is doable.  That's 126 dB dynamic range.  So
> it is not a noise floor issue.  With the noise 26 dB below the lowest
> signal, it should be out of the way.
> The trouble is, it takes 13 bits to get to 0.01%
> And 17 bits to get to 100 dB dynamic range.
> So in my fairy tale world, you would need 13 + 17 = 30 bits of
> resolution!
> Geez, it sucks to be an audiophile....
>
> Terry

Are you saying that you find noise an issue with 16-bit playback?

Anyway, when you say "it takes 13 bits to get to 0.01%"
what exactly do you mean? If you mean without dithering (ie
theoretical) then yes - but fortunately this isn't what ever happens.

This page explains it nicely.

http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/dvdaudio/dither.htm

In practice (which is all that matters) noise  -  or distortion if you
prefer - is well below the 0.01%. In their example, the residual noise
is ~30dB below a -60dB signal.

This is why digital has (pretty much) killed off analogue in
professional recording environments - analogue can't get anywhere near
this performance.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.