Soulkeeper;630521 Wrote:
> ... takes a concert hall, and a classical orchestra.
>
> Squeezing the acoustics of the whole room through the limitations of
> any stereo system, will have a profound, negative effect on the music.
> Trying to get a perfect representation of that, is like expecting a
> camera to take a picture so good that you can walk around it and see
> the scene from behind. Ain't gonna happen. At least not with today's
> technology.
>
> Read about, for instance, the 'Soundfield microphone'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundfield_microphone), or 'wave field
> synthesis' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_field_synthesis) in
> general, and what it can be used for. Consider its limitations, and at
> the same time its superiority over the normal music recording
> technologies that has generally been used to record the music albums in
> our collections.
>
> Consider what playback equipment would be required to accurately
> recreate wave field recordings.
>
> The difference between the recorded material that we have access to,
> and the idealized, perfect acoustical illusion of presence, is so vast
> it's hard to fathom.

+1

Indeed - and what makes Blumleins old trick so effective that it allows
to even imagine depth and height :-)

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.