Soulkeeper;630521 Wrote:
> ... takes a concert hall, and a classical orchestra.
>
> Squeezing the acoustics of the whole room through the limitations of
> any stereo system, will have a profound, negative effect on the music.
> Trying to get a perfect representation of that, is like expecting a
> camera to take a picture so good that you can walk around it and see
> the scene from behind. Ain't gonna happen. At least not with today's
> technology.
>
> Read about, for instance, the 'Soundfield microphone'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundfield_microphone), or 'wave field
> synthesis' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_field_synthesis) in
> general, and what it can be used for. Consider its limitations, and at
> the same time its superiority over the normal music recording
> technologies that has generally been used to record the music albums in
> our collections.
>
> Consider what playback equipment would be required to accurately
> recreate wave field recordings.
>
> The difference between the recorded material that we have access to,
> and the idealized, perfect acoustical illusion of presence, is so vast
> it's hard to fathom.

I'm not allowed to dream?  I'm just stating what the goal should be.
Until it gets there, it is not done.
For now, we should be able to close on a dynamic range and distortion
that approaches the ideal.  CD is certainly getting close.
Granted, speakers are not going to support this kind of range
(certainly not any speaker I will ever be able to afford).  But
headphones can blast out enough sound to make your nose bleed.

Terry

--
TerryS