TerryS;630561 Wrote:
> I'm not allowed to dream?  I'm just stating what the goal should be.
> Until it gets there, it is not done.
> For now, we should be able to close on a dynamic range and distortion
> that approaches the ideal.  CD is certainly getting close.
Define "approaches", Terry.

Unless you are proposing to record the exact movement of each air
molecule during the performance (and then make it happen again) someone
somewhere is going to have to make a judgment on what is audible, what
is good enough. (If you ARE proposing the air molecule thing then it
may be time for me to leave this thread!)

The fact that all representations, analogue or digital, lose fidelity
as the signal diminishes is IMO just maths, the nature of the animal,
the way it is. All that we can discuss is the DEGREE of fidelity in the
first place and therefore the DEGREE of remaining fidelity required at
lower levels. This is, of course, a matter of debate and research with
listening tests.

And, I think, that is where the world was before this thread started.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.