Phil Leigh;632152 Wrote:
> In theory the maximum gain cut required in Inguz is equal to the maximum
> boost being applied by the DRC correction curve.
>
> In practice, if you see any "clipping" in the Inguz log, then the DRC
> boost is exceeding the fixed cut AND when the excess is added to the
> music, the level (occasionally) exceeds 0dB.
>
> For example:
>
> 1) cut -16dB
> 2) DRC boost 18dB
> 3) peak level of track 0dB
> net result: some peaks will clip as the DRC will try aand fail to boost
> their level to +2dB.
>
> By the way, check that you have the Inguz "flatness" setting set to
> 10... this will ensure that the correction filter from AL is being
> fully utilised. This should be the default, but I'm not sure if it is.
> See here:
> http://inguzaudio.com/blog/2007/09/17/flatness/
>
> At the moment my advice is to adjust inguzdsp.exe.config for minimal
> clipping. Do not manipulate the AL correction curve up/down, leave it
> where AL puts it. Listen to some quite tracks. Does everything sound
> OK?
>
> I'll have to look at the DR plugin's RMS levels vs replaygain  - that
> will have to wait until tonight...
I do have flatness set to 10. I will also check for clipping in the
log.
AS for the loudness levels I am intrigued as to whether we are talking
about the same thing, but I can't really see (through the eyes of zero
engineering experienced mind you) why not -20dB average.  In a long
symphony with 1 hour+ recorded then if there is not much dynamic
compression the average level will be miles below peak because there
will probably be only one 0 dB peak and that peak may well be much
louder than anything else.[for example in beethoven 9 and mahler 2 the
choir only comes in  the last movement and the orchestra then plays
flat out , so the level for the other movements is bound to be much
lower] This is completely differnt from rock albums becasue the level
can be reset by reference to the loudest level in each track AND that
peak level is unlikely to be so very much higher than the surrounding
bits

--
adamdea