adamdea;656532 Wrote:
> I am with you on this Tim. Not having a profession background in
> electronics nor an academic qualification, I have had to spend a lot of
> time catching up to a basic level. Now there are no incontestable
> statements in subjective hifi forumland, but there is I think
> mainstream electrical engineering/ information theory opinion on a lot
> of this.
> I believe that the preponderance of opinion in those circles including
> technical professional digital recording manufacturers such as dan
> lavry, Daniel Weiss etc would be that a decently designed dac does not
> require special cables or special transports with mil- spec aluminium
> faceplates [or for that matter fancy mains cables. ]
> the reasons for this are not that difficult to understand, because the
> sampling rate of the data is not a secret. If you can read the bits,
> then you can decode them. There is a problem of matching the data rate
> in and out over a period, but a smaller buffer and a gentle tweak of
> the output clock rate is all you need.
>
> Now there are people on this forum who can apparently tell the
> difference between digital cables, power cables, and for that matter
> the operating system of the server running sbs streaming to a touch
> playing via digital out to a dac, perhaps even a dac which was designed
> by someone with an engineering qualification not a shed dwelling
> enthusiast.
> All very confusing.
> An awful lot of crap is in circulation about audio and especially
> digital audio.
> For my own part I had q bit of a surprise recently when I tried out an
> m2tech young dac over q couple of weeks. This has had a lot of good
> reviews and is very popular with forum dwelling hobbyists. As against
> my existing dac, with which it appears to share no components at all, I
> reluctantly concluded that I could hear no difference whatsoever. None.
> And that was with one on coax and the other on optical.
> I think I just realised I may not be an audiophile.

1. Just remove all "information" provided by audiophiles, then the
situation becomes much clearer :)

2. Thats the expected outcomme of your experiment both DAC's you tried
are probably better than any human's hearing abilities .

3. We need a new name for Audiphiles , who are not members of the
stagnant cult many audiophiles subscribe to ?

4. technical improvements beyond human hearing are absolutely
worthwhile anyway, it's a long chain from microphone to listener, with
100's of gadgets and gizmos on the chain.
Imho they all add up to the total sound eventually, a good example is
noise levels.
A more scientific approach is to be used, to evaluate these
improvements.

As been said both placebo effects and cognitive dissonance must be out
of the process, I suspect both effects are rampant i diy audio,
everyone seems so pleased with what they built in their garage ? maybe
not a first, but after "burn in" and tweaking it is , how fortunate .

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad