magiccarpetride;685882 Wrote:
> One of the recent polls conducted by Stereophile reviewed various hi fi
> components by breaking them down into A, B, C, and D categories (A
> being the highest).
>
> I was shocked to see that they've placed SBT in the D category. But get
> this: the blurb said that the evaluation was for the analog outputs; for
> digital, they simply stated that it is almost perfect!
>
> Go figure. Why didn't they evaluate SBT on digital only?

It would be inappropriate to ignore the analog performance of the
product as most users will use the device with the analog outputs.
Please read the full review (digital AND analog) which is available on
Stereophile's website and from which the recommendations provide the
basis for contributing editor's guidance for recommended components.
And no malice or ulterior motives with the advertising department
influencing the editorial department in mind - I've never seen a
Squeezebox advertized in Stereophile or anywhere else.

magiccarpetride;685882 Wrote:
> On the topic of CDs and streaming: yeah, it's a good idea to keep all
> your CDs stored away, in case of emergency. But then again, if indeed
> there comes a time when we cannot read our FLACs, WAVs, AIFFs (due to
> the unexpected evolution/revolution of the devices capable of reading
> these formats), how do we know that we'll still have devices capable of
> reading CDs?

Some orphaned audio playing devices from the last 40 years (and where
ther might be great difficulty in finding a player:  Playtape, Sanyo
Cassette, 4 track tape, RCA 3.75 IPS cassette, 8 track tape, Elcaset,
Digital Compact Cassette.......

--
musicom