Archimago;686523 Wrote:
> The interesting thing here too is that many music lovers (including
> myself) seek out some of these early 80's CD's because they're not
> over-compressed and loud like modern remasters, also, many are not
> EQ'ed to compensate for those little white iPod earbuds or the average
> boombox. I really enjoy the discussion on these matters at the Steve
> Hoffman site. [A side note - many of these CD's have pre-emphasis added
> which needs to be corrected with programs like SOX after ripping to your
> music server, otherwise they're shrill and thin sounding - nothing to do
> with jitter.]
>
> Wondering for folks who have looked under the hood of the Touch - what
> crystal oscillator does it use for 44kHz?  Any idea how many PPM the
> frequency stability is on that crystal? I'm curious as I want to run
> some rough calculations...
>
> Arch

Out of 3,000 CD's (mostly rock/pop/blues/jazz) I had 2 with
pre-emphasis... If my classical collection had been larger I might have
hit a few.

The problem with many early CD's is the masters used were sometimes of
dubious vintage - LP EQ masters, 2nd or 3rd gen safety copies etc...
Also as I'm sure SH would corroborate, it took folk a while to acquire
the skills necessary to handle digital tech with the same finesse that
had been built up over the previous 30 years.

Many early CD's avoid the loudness war brick wall limiting problem, but
they are also "cut" at quite low levels which didn't help early on with
what were effectively 13-bit (usable) CD players!

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1
DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's,
ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus
Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.