Been away on holiday but was interested to see this thread on my return.
I've been digitising vinyl as a hobby since 1994 (started on Windows
3.11 with just 1GB of disk space, using a very early release of
Goldwave). I have tried a lot of tools over the years. For anyone
interested in detailed notes, there's a page I wrote up here:
http://delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm. I need to emphasise that it hasn't
been updated for some time, but that doesn't alter the basic
principles.

1. The first principle of vinyl ripping is this: it's a time consuming
process. If the album you plan to rip is available on CD, buy the CD.
Only rip the vinyl if:
a). The CD version is a botched job (bad transfer, hypercompressed
"remaster", tracks edited/remixed, etc); or
b). The CD is rare and costs a fortune; or
c). You are some kind of weirdo (like me) who actually enjoys the vinyl
ripping process.
Of course, if the album isn't available on CD, then you will need to
rip it yourself (or find a good quality downloadable needle drop on the
net).

2. The second principle is this: automatic cleanup tools can often make
things worse. Sure, they'll remove some clicks and pops, but often leave
behind undesirable artefacts. If you're serious about doing a good
needle drop, you need to do a lot of manual restoration. (Which makes
the process even more time-consuming, which reinforces point 1,
above).

3. Regarding the 16 v 24 bit argument:
A few people have commented that recording at 24 bit is worthwhile if
you're going to do any post processing. However, I would make the
following points:
a). There are some useful tools around which only support 16 bit. By
recording at 24 bit you deny yourself access to these tools.
b). The surface noise of vinyl is so high that even if you run several
DSP passes over a 16 bit recording the rounding/truncation artefacts
still won't encroach into the vinyl noise floor.
So my conclusion is that it is perfectly safe to do vinyl rips and
process them entirely in the 16 bit domain.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A