Hi-

The Bellari vp530 is a good unit. I don't remember their models
exactly, but they make phono preamps with USB and tube output. At least
one with both.

As far as the RIAA curve: if you are going digital, there is a lot of
software around that will apply the RIAA curve for you to your file,
and good software will do it better and more accurately than just about
ANY hardware phono preamp.

So what I recommend is: get a phono pre that gives you the option of
turning off the RIAA curve for recording purposes - Bellari actually
makes one like that (you can of course use it for vinyl playback with
the RIAA curve turned on). Then:

1. Record without the RIAA curve

2. Get rid of or reduce major pops, clicks, and noises.

3. Apply RIAA curve with software.

4. Listen. If you think it sounds good you are done with the audio
forensics. What's left is tagging, splitting tracks, etc.

If you thing the file needs further processing, do it. I personally
find that automatic tools can work well if you apply very light
processing. Example: I don't try to get rid of all the hiss, I just try
to reduce it so it isn't so noticeable. Same for pops and clicks. I just
try to reduce volume with automatic tools, not eliminate them. I find
that with this approach I don't ruin the sound of my recordings, only
improve them.

Software: Adobe Audition is good. I use Diamond Cut. It does a great
job applying the RIAA curve, by the way.

The interesting thing about transferring vinyl to digital is that if
you do a good job, the resulting digital tracks sound like analogue.
Sort of shows that "digital sounding" recordings are due to something
other than the inherent nature of digital.

--
firedog

GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. Tranquil PC fanless server running
Vortexbox OS; SB Touch slaved to Empirical Audio Pace Car; MF X-DAC-V3,
MF X-150 as pre-amp, Grant Fidelity B-283MKII buffer>ClassDaudio SDS-470
amp; Devore Gibbon Super 8 Speakers; Dual 506 + Ortofon M20 (occasional
use); sometimes use PC with M-Audio 192 as digital source. SB Boom in
second room. Arcam CD82 which I don't use anymore, even though it's a
very good player.