HumanMedia;687716 Wrote:
> Any suggestions on the location of the ferrites?
> As close to the end as possible, or a specific distance from the end?

Somewhere near the end, but don't bust a gut, it's not mission
critical.

HumanMedia;687716 Wrote:
> Also noticed while I was fishing around inside the SBT yesterday - the
> ethernet socket on the SBT does have small ground connections in it so
> that if a metal shell grounded plug is inserted, then the cable shield
> ground will be tied to the SBT's ground.
>
> Depending on your cable grounding strategy this can be a good or a bad
> thing.

Avoid a network grounding strategy if you can - the pins on a
Cat5e/Cat6 do not carry any ground connections (ie - everything floats)
- that is done by the cable screen, if there is one.
In most applications there is no need to screen the cable, it's for
extreme
conditions only, should they arise.

Chris :)

--
Stratmangler

There is no element of personal attack in my response.