Two things not mentioned in this thread that I have seen;

1. CDs are limited to 20Hz - I think this is in the original Red Book
standard. Can't find a citation reference though but a quick search of
mastering advice sites mention this as the low limit.

2. There is plenty of electronica and dance that doesn't just go down
below 40Hz but relies on it. Those who may be more familiar with
"natural" music from instruments (acoustic or electric) may or may not
also be familiar with lots of stuff by folks like Leftfield, Faithless,
Massive Attack - to name just a few of the more established names. To me
Faithless in particular seem to have albums and tracks that are
basically incomplete without sub-bass. Try listening to "Crazy English
Summer" with and without a sub - it's like B&W vs Colour :)

Don't even get me started on dubstep :p

--
Peter Galbavy