Peter Galbavy;697552 Wrote:
> Two things not mentioned in this thread that I have seen;
>
> 1. CDs are limited to 20Hz - I think this is in the original Red Book
> standard. Can't find a citation reference though but a quick search of
> mastering advice sites mention this as the low limit.
>
> 2. There is plenty of electronica and dance that doesn't just go down
> below 40Hz but relies on it. Those who may be more familiar with
> "natural" music from instruments (acoustic or electric) may or may not
> also be familiar with lots of stuff by folks like Leftfield, Faithless,
> Massive Attack - to name just a few of the more established names. To me
> Faithless in particular seem to have albums and tracks that are
> basically incomplete without sub-bass. Try listening to "Crazy English
> Summer" with and without a sub - it's like B&W vs Colour :)
>
> Don't even get me started on dubstep :p

Re 1.  Not naturally there would be nothing in the format preventing DC
- 20000kHz .
And I don't think it is so. I would bet that you can find a lot of
classical stuff with content in the sub area.

But I would not be surprised if mastering engineers did remove things
below 20Hz as a relic from the LP era, that low bass would be all kinds
of problem for an LP player or cutting lathe .

It migth also be considered an unwelcome load on most people's systems
and speakers as it can't be heard, but dismissing some genres that must
be felt trough the body :)

And it most certainly is gone from most mp3's

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom