magiccarpetride wrote:
> You have a point, it's been, like anything else, heavily abused. Be that
> as it may, the fact remains that if you want to 'reveal' the signal (or
> as much of it as possible), you need to lower the noise.
With modern equipment such as DACs the signal to noise ratio is likely
to be well over 100db which is huge. It would mean I think if the signal
was 100db (a rock concert) the noise would be 1db (quieter than a pin
dropping and indeed quieter than can be measured) when the ambient noise
in a very quiet room is about 20db. In other words there is no way you
can hear the noise generated by a resonably good 24 bit DAC or indeed
the noise generated by a standard squeezebox touch. and they are all
perfectly 'revealing' or 'transparent'.