I don't think anyone was asserting that redbook CD is better than a
properly ripped WAV file.  Computer audio has come a long way, but there
are kinks yet to be worked out.  Even so, my claim is much different and
I don't see how it would be hotly contested.  It is a fact that in my CD
player the circuitry is different when playing a CD from it's own
transport versus accepting the digital into the DAC section via S/PDIF.

I'm not sure where all of the anti-audiophile stuff is coming from, but
if anyone genuininely believes that there are little or no sonic
differences between the Transporter and a hi-end player at $5 grand and
up, then I'll start taking bets.  Gotta have serious hi-end speakers and
supporting electronics and then prepare to have your mind blown.  And I
am dead serious.  I did not believe that the Cary 306 SACD Pro as a DAC
versus the analog outs of the Transporter would result in much of a
difference, but I nearly fell out of my chair.  I would not, under any
circustance, have believed that I was listening to my own system (same
speakers, pre/power amp, only swap DAC) had I not been sitting there
myself.  The bass alone was over the top convincing (deep/taught).
Digital artifacts I didn't know were there...gone.  Etc, etc.

And again, the topic of this thread is "BEST top end players".  While
the Cary 306 is excellent and has earned quite a reputation (see
reviews), it will be easily beaten by $15 grand and beyond leaders in
digital.  It's difficult to make a "value claim" for an $8,000 CD/SACD
player, but taking that leap into "BEST" is very expensive.  Why?
Proprietary chip sets and more.

Finally, the Transporter is awesome.  Period.  I have no clue why the
Transporter must be heralded as the best DAC ever made at any price
point when A) that's a ridiculous line of thinking and B) it was a
remains a great unit at $1,000 and C) many here continue to enjoy it.