mlsstl wrote:
> Two points.
>
> First, for all those who believe that a CD system is superior to a hard
> drive based playback system, keep in mind that commercial recordings are
> not made direct to CD. The music is recorded to a hard drive and
> processed from there. Now a listener may happen to prefer the flavors
> that the circuitry of a particular CD player adds (or doesn't add) to
> the playback sound, but there is nothing inherently "superior" about
> picking up your digital data from a spinning piece of metallicized
> plastic versus an HDD.

well, "metalized plastic" versus "magnetized glass"... on different
aspects, I don't think one is vastly superior to the other.

I don't get your "Now a listener may happen to prefer the flavors that
the circuitry of a particular CD player adds (or doesn't add) to the
playback sound" since it's probably less dependant on the "drive itself"
than on the DAC circuitry. And if you go for a HD based system, the
situation is the same: sound's flavor will mainly depend on the DAC.

Apart from that I share your opinion on the fact if some manufacturers
are stoping CD players it's just because they don't sell much anymore...
and the "superior sound" argument for "server/client systems"  is just
marketing bullshit (they should emphasize only on SQ and how software
can improve the listening experience regarding the ease of use).