jh901 wrote:

> I haven't tested this in a while as I've been doing just fine spinning
> discs old school for the first time in years.  At some point, I'll get
> the hard drive going again and perform a comparison.

Yes I would appreciate a re-test! I too have a friend who has not yet
been convinced about computer based / streamed audio having compared
these methods against his top quality CD Player. Perhaps music libraries
are convenient, but for the very best SQ a hi-end CD player (or perhaps
better still a turntable) still rules the roost.

We must take into consideration here that the Transporter is
nevertheless superb value for money and I doubt a CD player for that
price would touch it - it takes a CD player like yours to signficantly
better it, which you must admit is not cheap.

Perhaps we can take advantage of your reference system and see how you
get on with other comparative streamed music applications too, such as
JRiver over USB to a high quality async USB DAC for example.

Over here in the UK, Linn has completely abandoned making CD players,
because they deem CD players inferior to their network music players in
terms of SQ.