So I found the time to swap the components around, and zeroed the fault
to the Cyrus DAC-X :( . It's a far more expensive proposition than a
faulty SB Touch. Oh well! The problem has gotten much worse in the past
few days - no longer restricted to 48 kHz material, but all across the
board from all sources, so it is no longer listenable at all.

I've contacted my original dealer - who says he's discontinued Cyrus
because of poor support. I'm now in touch with Cyrus directly and their
new local representative, who are trying to come up with something for
me, but I don't hold too much hope, and even if they do, I fear it is
going to be extremely expensive to get the whole thing fixed when
freight, customs duties and other taxes are added. A quick search on the
interwebs reveals that other people have had exactly the same problems
with their Cyrus DACs, and some have been able to narrow down the
problem to some capacitors. I'm going to investigate the possibility of
getting these replaced myself.

Since the DAC problems started, I have been using the SBT analog
outputs, which I'd never done before, because I've always had a DAC. The
SBT analog output is pretty impressive, but I have a clear preference
for the sound of the DAC especially on good recordings. Given the low
likelihood of the DAC being fixed, and the potential high cost of the
repair if possible, it might be sensible for me to start looking for a
modern DAC. I read that DACs have come a long way in the past few years,
so I might be able to get a superior new modern DAC for less than the
cost of repairs. Any suggestions for a DAC that would sit well in my
setup - SBT + Cyrus 8 Amp with PSX-R + Dynaudio 52SE Speakers?

Thanks.