Mnyb wrote:
> Yep i've done a lot of that downsampled hirez ,but I've used modern
> 24/192 /96 recordings so that is reasonable possibility of it making a
> difference ,sorry even if I'm a fanboy of the DVDA format ( have
> hundreds ) no difference .
>
> A good master is good master , the reality is that in some cases a much
> better version/master can be sold under the hirez moniker.
> This is apparently a needed marketing gimmick as the record companies
> have destroyd " remastered " as a quality seal .
> Nowadays "remastered" usually means crap , they tried to make it sound
> modern with digital clipping and squashed dynamics etc the late 80's
> early 90's CDs's of some stuff is usually the best bet .
>
> Like a coincidence , if DVDA or SACD has a cd quality layer ,this layer
> always sounds worse than the hirez ;)

DO you think they purposely mess up the CD layer ? I found the SACD/CD
player sound almost the same in my Alison Kraus's New Favorite. But then
again, I am listening to 24bit/88.2kHz output of my Oppo when playing
SACDs. For some reason, I am not sure about SACD quality. It seems a
little "smoothed" out. In contrast PCM recordings seem more
'transparent/natural' to me. My Magnepan speakers crossover cannot
handle SACD output (the NewForms seem fine) and I hear some noise when
playing SACDs even after it has been downsampled to PCM by the OPPO. Did
not try the analog out of the Oppo to my digital amp when playing SACDs.
Anyways, I have only around < 20 or 30 SACD/DVDAs.