pippin wrote:
> The rationale is that counter to "conventional" audiophile wisdom my
> experience when testing 96/24 playback in iPeng was that the raw PCM
> data actually caused a noticeably _higher_ system load compared to FLAC.
> What this means is, that he system load caused by decoding FLAC is
> actually less than the load caused by the higher amount of data (roughly
> factor 2) for PCM. It was quite noticeable even on a device as
> performant as iPad 3.
>
> Now, the iPad of course always uses WiFi (no Ethernet there) and it's
> quite obvious that the load actually HAS to be higher: all the data
> needs to go through the WPA decoding which certainly requires more power
> than FLAC decoding.
> But then I'm not sure that the WPA decoding isn't done in the WiFi
> chipset so that the CPU (where I noticed the difference in load) doesn't
> ever get involved.
> Any chance you'd run one (OK, four) more test(s)?
I lately did read over hydrogen that one person noticed the same thing.
Seems he does program the audio decoding part of "Rockbox" and he
mentioned the higher load due to uncompressed formats against simply
using flac
WPA is decoded insided the WIFI card. I did read that in the specs of a
Philips WIFI card but can´t find the document atm.

Besides that i have to thank you Achimago for making these experiments
and offering the rersults here!!
Now you only have to test audiophile CAT cable betweeen your router and
PC, otherwise all other benefits of mods of course can´t come thru ;)