SoftwireEngineer wrote:
> Ralph - I agree with you on the appalling exotic cable vendors fleecing
> the rich , gullible audiophiles (deservedly :-) ) . Especially, the
> Audioquest Ethernet cables was the most silliest thing I have ever seen.
> That said, I probably have taken a different path than you in this
> hobby. I started out young and knowing EE, I thought digital cables are
> digital and so used some cheap toslink, I also used a TV stand with
> castors for my audio equipment. Even the salesman, who sold, NAD
> integrated amps and PSB speakers, sold me some bulk speaker cables
> because they were good enough for me, even though he was selling
> high-priced wires otherwise. But I realized, changing to a electrical
> digital cable, a good solid rack and wires like DHLabs t-14 did make a
> change in the sound of my system. I tried different speakers. I tried
> different amps. Currently loving my Newform Research and TACT amp. I
> think this is the most transparent sound I have heard (though not
> completely blowing away Silverline Sonatinas). Because of the various
> changes I did to get this far . I keep wondering if I modded my
> Squeezebox with better clocks or got a asynch USB converter, will the
> sound improve. I know fully well from Archimago's graphs things are way
> below 100db. But I am unable to get over this mental sickness :-)

It appears that you slowly discovering a few very important things about
this crazy hobby of ours.

1) Sometimes small things can make a big difference. For example proper
setup is very important and doesn't cost a lot of money.

2) Super cheap is almost always not very good. For example avoid poorly
made cables.

3) Super expensive is almost always not necessary. For example $13,000
cables.

4) The law of diminishing returns can be reached very quickly. For
example cheap USB cable -> well made USB cable -> audiophile USB cable

5) Don't go round and round chasing one's tail. For example the current
pursuit of jitter reduction.

Also understand that I don't object to anyone spending thier hard earned
money however they please. What I do object to is when those individuals
insist that their money has been well spent and refuse to acknowledge
that there is a very good possibility that they have been had. Luckily
so far you have not fallen into this trap but I have to admit that
you're getting awfully close.