garym wrote:
> I don't recall people indicating that it is impossible to tell the
> difference between some DACs. DACs can certainly have a sound flavor.
> But this is because DACs have an analog stage. My Transporter DAC sounds
> different from my Benchmark DAC I (and I've detected this in a double
> (edit, sorry SINGLE) blind test). But this is not because of the bits
> each are receiving...I'm pretty sure it is because of the analog stage
> of of the two different DACs being different. But I'm no engineer.
In the case of the DAC1 it could be DSP headroom if you are not doing
digital volume at the transport and you are listening to loudly mastered
stuff (see separate thread). The DAC2 has fixed this issue. Definitely a
real issue although perhaps not audible ... but my impression with HDR
(sighted) is that it makes a difference.
Darren